Not the Update We Want to Hear

Last week we received an upsetting update regarding our adoption process. We learned that there is a current slowdown in our stage of the process for various reasons. Unfortunately we have been told this will cause a delay in our traveling for our court date and to meet our daughter. At this time, the length of this delay is uncertain.

“Delay.” The worst word to hear during the adoption process. We know international adoption timelines are completely unpredictable, however our family has hit a delay at nearly every single step of this process. Now that we are so close to bringing our daughter home, hearing we have hit another delay was devastating. To be completely transparent here, this news was a breaking point for me last week. I was exhausted and weary and my heart just could not handle this news. I just want my daughter in my arms. We are so ready to have her home, where she belongs.

The reason this delay is particularly upsetting at this time is that Ethiopia’s rainy season is approaching. For almost three months, usually beginning the end of July, it rains every single day. Every year, the courts and MOWA completely close during the rainy season. Therefore, if we do not get a court date before the rainy season begins, our daughter will not be coming home until the Fall. With this new slowdown, I know this is a very real possibility but it makes me absolutely sick to my stomach to imagine.

Last week after hearing the latest news, I basically pitched a giant fit. My mama heart was not prepared to process another delay when there was so much excitement of being so close to meeting our daughter. For days I went through an erray of emotions from frustration, intense sadness, serious anger, and sulking. After several days of this, I regained my composure and reminded myself of what I know to be TRUE:

Our God is big, so very big. And He is sovereign. Completely. Brett and I have full confidence in HIS ability to make crooked paths straight. So our family is believing big, that God will miraculously bring our daughter home before the rainy season. We are going to fight for our daughter. We are going to boldly fight with mountain-moving faith on our knees before the Lord. Our daughter is worth it, she is worth every tear and every prayer.

Kiley, Ethan and Landon so desperately want their precious little sister home, and they have been patiently waiting and praying for that day since they laid eyes on her beautiful face in a picture 10 long months ago. They too have big faith that God if fully able to do what seems impossible.

**Will you please believe with us? Will you please intercede on behalf of our daughter? **

“For with God nothing shall be impossible.” Luke 1:37


One Reply to “Not the Update We Want to Hear”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *